PART 1: About the Author (20 points)
1. Who wrote The Crucible?
2. Where was the author born and raised?
3. What other famous play has the author written?
4. What famous actress was the author married to at one time?
PART 2: The Salem Witch Trials (40 points)
1. How many people were executed during the Salem Witch Trials
2. According to Puritan beliefs, who is responsible for all bad things that happen in the world?
3. Which type of people were first accused of witchcraft?
4. Describe the role of the following REAL people in the Salem Witch Conspiracy:
b) John Proctor
c) Ann Putnam
PART 3: Senator Joseph McCarthy (20 points)
*Go to section titled "McCarthy Finds an Enemy"
1. What is communism?
2. Who did McCarthy claim was working secretly in the US government?
3. What proof did McCarthy have to support this claim?
4. Opinion: Why would he do such a thing?
5. What became of McCarthy after the controversy?
Part 4: Other Important Info (20 points)
1. What is an allegory?
2. What was the Red Scare? http://www.history.com/topics/red-scare
3. Opinion: Why would it matter if communists were working in the Hollywood film industry?
4. What is a crucible used for?
5. Opinion: How might the play The Crucible an allegory for the Red Scare/McCarthyism?